Waterloo student housing
Waterloo Residences Inc.
Waterloo ResidencesWaterlooWaterloo University

What do I need to bring from home?

You need to bring personal items such as cooking utensils, cutlery, bed linens, blankets, pillows, clothes hangers, garbage containers, cleaning supplies and personal hygiene supplies. You may also want to bring an iron, vacuum cleaner, hair dryer, coffee maker, and toaster.

What does the rental unit include?

Each apartment is fully furnished. Each bedroom is outfitted with a full size bed, wardrobe closet, storage, desk and chair. Each bedroom is equipped with a complete private ensuite bathroom. The living area consists of a sofa, chairs, coffee table, flat screen TV, and dinette seating (seating configurations may vary between apartments). All kitchens are outfitted with stainless steel appliances; which consists of a 20 cubic foot fridge, full size stove, tall tub dishwasher, and microwave. All apartments include complementary ensuite laundry facilities (washer and dryer). Internet services are included, some conditions may apply.

How much is rent?

Please contact us for apartment configurations, applicable rental rents, and availability.

Email: waterlooresidences@yahoo.com
519-496-1828 - Local
519-532-6499 - London

You may also check "Pick Your Suite" on our website for information.

When do I have to make rent payment?

The rent is due the 1st of every month. The following flexible payment options may be used; cash, debit, certified cheque, and email money transfer. Payment options are finalized during signing of the Lease Agreement for your convince.

How long are the Lease Agreements?

Lease Agreements are from September 1st to August 28th for a 3 year term. However, with proper notification the agreement may be terminated after the first year. Notice for terminating the lease agreement must be provided in writing by January 31st for August termination. This is outlined in the lease agreement, from which an example is provided below.

TERM: The Tenant shall occupy the Rented Premises, subject to the present Tenant vacating, for a term beginning on the:

1st day of September, 2012 at 1:00 pm and ending the 3rd last day of August, 2015 at 1:00 pm, a three year term.

Notwithstanding, the Tenancy term is for three years (3 years) and does not end until August 28, 2015, the Tenant may without penalty:

Give written notice up until January 31, 2013, to terminate the Tenancy as of August 28, 2013.
Give written notice up until January 31, 2014, to terminate the Tenancy as of August 28, 2014.

It is important to give proper notice as outlined in the Lease Agreement to end the tenancy early.

Do I need to fill out a Guarantor Agreement?

Yes. This is one of the rental requirements. It’s a form that is usually filled out by your parents. They guarantee that rent will be paid on the first of every month and any outstanding rent. You will be required to have the Guarantor Agreement filled out before completing the Lease Agreement. If you do not have a Guarantor, please contact the office for alternatives.

What is the Pre-Move-In Inspection Form?

The Pre-Move-In Inspection form is a checklist verifying the condition of the rental apartment, and identifies any needs for repair. It must be completed prior to occupancy.

What utilities am I responsible for?

As a Tenant, you are responsible for hydro, cable, and telephone. It is the responsibility of all Tenants within an apartment to come to an agreement for their share and make arrangements for setting up utilities. Go to our link page on our website for all contact numbers.

Included in your rent, the Landlord will pay for hot and cold water, gas heat of your apartment, garbage removal, snow removal and internet (some conditions apply for internet).

How do I reserve Parking?

Parking is on a first come first serve basis. During the application process, ask the Leasing Agent for availability. You will be required to fill out a Parking Rental Agreement. This form may be found on our website.

What should I do if I need maintenance or repair to my unit?

Call our office, and leave a detailed message, with your name, contact number, unit #, room #, and what your maintenance request is. Someone from our Maintenance Staff will contact you during business hours. If the repair is deemed an emergency (i.e. leak, heat, electrical) we will remedy the problem as quickly as possible, even afterhours.

Do I need Insurance?

Yes. Renter's Insurance assures you that you're protected against the damage or loss of personal property from theft or fire when you rent the apartment. Our insurance protects the physical building in which you reside. Our insurance does not cover your personal property. In the Lease Agreement, it states during the entire period of tenancy, the Tenant is responsible for obtaining insurance for all belongings, furniture and chattels at their own cost.

Are pets allowed?

No. Pets are not allowed on the Rented Premises.

Is smoking allowed on the property?

No. Smoking in not allowed in the apartments, balconies, or 10 feet of the rental premise. It is stated in your lease that smoking is not permitted and if caught you will be fined. The City of Waterloo has a strict by-law in place for smoking.

What should I expect on move-in day?

By this time, all paperwork required for renting the apartment will be completed. Your responsibility of the rental apartment begins. Our staff will provide you with all the keys for the building, apartment and your room. You will be free to settle in and acquaint yourself with the amenities. Our office staff will email you a reminder notice associated to your rental arrangements prior to move-in. This will help your move-in experience be smooth. This is a busy time. If you have any questions prior or during move-in, email us and our staff will respond in a timely fashion.

Can I sublet my room?

Yes. We will supply all the forms required and assist you to make the sublet simple and easy. All forms are available to you on our website. You will have to fill out the Sublet Application Form and submit it to our office for approval. Once approved, you will have to enter into a "Sublet Agreement" with the Subletter. The Subletter shall pay rent directly to you. This agreement must be submitted to our office for our records and consented by the Landlord. You should keep a copy for yourself. You will continue to be responsible for the Lease of the room. We will continue to deposit your rent instalments according to the Lease Agreement.

How do I get a tax receipt?

Simply send us an email to waterlooresidences@yahoo.com. Include your full legal name, unit & room number, and rental period. We will have a hard copy waiting for you in our office or an electronic PDF version will be emailed to.

Do you rent to groups or individuals?

We are open to renting to both groups and individuals.
Home|About Us|Suites|Amenities|F.A.Q.|Maps|Sublet|Contact